I may be a day late, but it can never be too late to pay tribute to a mom
Happy Mothers Day Mom!!
Here is a list of a few things she taught me over the years.
- She taught me to love art, classical music and good literature. She use to drag us all over Europe to museums and teach us about art and different cultures. I am eternally grateful that she took the time to do this when we were young, I didn't fully appreciate it then, but I do now. Thanks and I hope to do the same with my own children.
- Never go to the grocery store in sweats (although if you live by me you know I never follow that advice)
- Rock music is evil (again I don't always listen to her good advice)
- Never serve your dinner guests with paper products and plastic utensils (Okay, sometimes I break this rule too)
- A good meal is something to enjoy and cherish.
- Cooking and good food bring people together. Whenever she visits the one thing I can count on is that she will feed us and feed us well. She can get my kids to eat things that I could never get them to touch.
- She always puts her family first, and has sacrificed a lot in order to be there for her children
- She raised a house full of strong personalities, but she has always been able to hold her own.
- It hasn't always been easy to raise 5 children on her own, but she never gave up. She did a remarkable job and I think we all turned out pretty decent. So mom, give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done. Thanks!
- A clean house is very important. And children make for good slaves. (just kidding)
- She taught me to work hard. Even though I hated Saturdays growing up because she made us clean, clean, clean and pull weeds. It has instilled with me hard work and a desire to have a clean house and nice yard.
- Birthdays are important and should be celebrated for many days before and after the actual day.
- She loves all her grandchildren. And takes time to visit them where ever they live.
- She taught me to appreciate people and love them despite your differences.
- She loves good childrens books and those are what taught her english when she came to the United States in her late twenties.
- She has a wonderful German accent and knows how to use it to her advantage, for example when getting pulled over by a cop. (insert German accent here: "Vut officer I can't understand vut you are saying.")
- She came to this country in her late 20's without family and not knowing the language. She had to have had a lot of faith and courage to do this. She learned English quickly.
- Most importantly she taught me Faith, gratitude, hard work, patience, courage, perseverance, charity and to love my Heavenly father and to always say my prayers!
Over the years people say I look like her, which I take as a compliment because I think she is beautiful and hope I can age as well as she has. Happy mothers day, mom!!! Sorry I couldn't celebrate with you, but hope we can celebrate when you come out to visit!

4 comments:
I am loving the Mother's Day Posts because I am learning so much about everyone and their families! You Mom sounds amazing!
I love this tribute to your mom. She sounds like an amazing woman. And I totally agree with her on the food & clean house & yard...I'm a little uptight when it comes to those two things. This helps me feel ok about it!!!
Your mom is an awesome lady! She has put a lot of hard work and dedication into her family and all you kids are the product of that. She has a lot to be proud of!
I love your mom too...even though she probably doesn't even remember me. She is such a sweet, kind lady. I just read about your delivery too...I've been meaning to call you about that because something you said before made me realize it wasn't a piece of cake! I'm so glad you're home and both of you are healthy! That little boy is so darn sweet. Snuggle him extra from me.
Post a Comment