Have you ever had something happen and you wish you could close your eyes and it would go away or that it never happened in the first place??? Well I had such an experience lately. I am embarrassed, mortified and now just trying to figure out what I should do. So if you have advice for me I'd much appreciate it.
So the past few weeks I have had a few people tell me I should get a facebook account. Apparently there is a group of my fellow graduates from high school that set it up and made a THS reunion group. Making it a way to contact people and inform people of our upcoming reunion (whenever that is) and reconnect with old friends. So one bored summer afternoon while my children were in their dreamy fog of electronics playing, I decided to do a little electronics playing myself. I got on the computer and started to check it out, mind you that mid setting up my account my sweet- perfect baby woke up from his nap and so I got up to get him and return with baby in arms and continue the process. Well, I guess I must have pressed something that said "send an invitation to everyone in your yahoo address book" because apparently everyone in my address book got this invite. Yeah for me!!!
This should be a lesson for me to read things clearly before clicking, which is a problem I seem to have. (thus the internet shopping)
I don't like reading directions to put things together. I find it boring to read the istructions, just ask Mark, he is very good at putting childrens toys etc together, not me.
Sometimes I click away on the computer without reading what it says. Now I have 200 plus people who are probably wondering what I am doing on facebook etc. It's been fun going through my yahoo address book to see all the people I sent this facebook invite too. I am excited to say that my Bishop, his counselors, Stake President, Stake Young Women's President, Stake camp directer, my relatives in Germany, all the young women in my ward, just to name a few. (I am sure those girls are thinking why did sister H. tell us not to play around on MYSPACE and now she is on Facebook?? What a big hypocrite she is!!)
There are people in my address book that I haven't spoken to in years. So the one upside was getting email reply from some of these people I haven't talked to in a while. So if you are reading this and you got the invite then you know you are in my address book.
The one silver lining is that I now have 52 friends, and I found and reconnected with my ex-step sister(is that what you call someone whose father was once married to your mother) that I haven't talked to in 20 years. So I guess it's not all bad. But I prefer blogging to facebook. I don't get it, I think blogging allows for more creativity and facebook is more for quick messages to people and perhaps posting pictures. Well I don't have time for both so I will choose blogging.
There you have it, please give me some advice. I am in desperate need of some.

5 comments:
Hi there! I am sorry I have been lame about commenting lately. Had the baby and been crazy since! I would just pretend you wanted to do it and forget about it. Guarenteed YOU have thought about it 100s of times more than the person that you sent the facebook invitation to. I always read into things more than they need to be! Once again, we need to hook up! We sound so similar in our thinking!! I never read directions and always always have my hubby do that. I would just chaulk this up as finding some people you haven't talked to in a while. I too have a facebook account but never check it and prefer to blog better. Just forget about it!
I would tell you to forget it but YOU NEVER WILL! And neither will I. I died when Celia told me this story. I would die if I did that too. In fact, I may have already told your facebook story 3 times because it is so horrific and can happen to anyone.
I feel pain for you. But people get lots of email so try to forget about it. OR get a good therapist. I'll totally be your friend on facebook! I just never go on there to confirm my friends.
I can relate because I did the exact same thing a week ago. I had no idea that I selected to send invites to people. I got confirmations from people in the ward that I barely even talk to. Yeah, I'm feeling brilliant! I just went on it because a friend emailed me to go look at her page. You aren't the only one who sometimes ignores the fine print.
I felt like an idiot, but I don't know what you do about it. I was just hoping people would forget, and not think I'm SO desperate for friends....
I'll forget if you will!
Oh, you have had a bad week. That sucks! (It's kind of funny...in a sick, -I'm-glad-I'm-not-you-kind-of- way.)
No advice, just major sympathy for your pain and embarrassment!
Brigitta- this cracks me up! I would be dying too. I wish I knew what to tell you. I guess if it were me I would just explain it to everyone I saw!! It is such a good story though!
Post a Comment