Sometimes I find myself dripping with a huge dose of mommy guilt. It isn't pretty and I know all mom's suffer from this dangerous infliction. Thinking of the things we should or shouldn't be doing..blah blah blah!
It's like a broken record, right? Thoughts like....
Have I taught them everything they need to know?
Are they going to be prepared to be adults and live on their own?
How are they ever going to live on their own when they can't even find their shoes?
Am I too strict...or not strict enough?
Have I fostered confidence and love in them?
Have I helped them develop their talents?
Why is it that I love it at night when everyone is asleep and I can just relax?
Why do I get so excited when I send them all off to school in the morning?
Why didn't I help him brush his teeth better, so that now he doesn't have 500 cavities everytime we go to the dentist?
And so I decided that mommy guilt just isn't good and gets me no where. So I need to just come to grips and realize that what I am doing is going to have to be good enough. Even if it's not perfect or I am not doing everything I think I should be doing. I will make mistakes and I do make mistakes and such is life, right?
But what I can do is love these boys!!! So I will...
Here's one remedy to cure mommy guilt: Watch an episode of Supernanny and then think to yourself "Okay now I am doing an awesome job. Wow! It could always be a lot worse. At least my kids don't scream and yell obscenities at me!"

8 comments:
Amen Brigitta! Well said! I think all of us mommy's feel this way but we just need to try our hardest to the best of our abilities. :)
I hear you sister! I ask myself those questions all the time. You are a good mom, and you have good boys.
I think we all have the "Mommy Guilt" I really think I can combine every perfect quality I see from every person and try and do it all. That can cause a major burn out fast! The reality is at the end of the day you have to think "I did the best I could today and tomorrow is a new day" easier said than done but I think we are all really trying. I dont think the guilt every goes away even when our kids are older. This is our job for life!
I felt that the other day. I was rushing to make it to the school science fair with three other kids in tow, I'm running late, of course and I get there a few minutes late and miss Austin's part. He then proceeds to tell me he cried because he didn't think I'd come. Why am I the only one rushing in late?
I totally felt bad but at the same time felt like I can't win. NO matter what I do, someone or something will go wrong.
Hang in there, we all go through it at various times.
My favorite time too, is knowing everyone is safe and sound sleeping in bed and I can just RELAX. It's a good thing...we mom's need quiet relaxing moments, or we'll be tearing everyones heads off the next morning! Mommy Guilt isn't good, loving our kids unconditionally is good! You're fantastic! Go get a relaxing mani/pedi tomorrow and no guilt!
Hey there,
My FB account got a virus/hacked into. Sorry if you got any weird messages. Don't open any emails with misspelled words etc. Five other friends got one too. Be careful. Just wanted to let you know. I've had to close my account for a while and didn't have your email address.
Hope all is well!!
Guilt is a waste of time. I gave it up when I turned 40.
We all have mommy guilt! Great to see another ward member who blogs. I had no idea there were others (besides me)!
Post a Comment