Tuesday, April 7, 2009

In the Motherhood

Live the life you Love
Love the Life you Live
I came across this quote the other day and I love it. It's Simple, sweet and 100% right on......

Yesterday I was shamelessly watching Oprah ( I know she is so yesterday) but I am intrigued by her subject matters and guests, so forgive me. Yesterday's topic was motherhood, although I didn't watch the whole hour it got me thinking about motherhood and here are some of my thoughts:
I actually like motherhood. I chose it. I figured it may be difficult at times, but knew it would always be worth it. I never felt like I had to give up something to be a mom, because this is what I always wanted to do. (I joyfully gave up my school teaching digs so that I could stay home) Taking care of my own 4 kids is much more fun then 20 first graders. So when I went from other peoples children to just taking care of my own little sweet bundle of yumminess, motherhood didn't feel so overwhleming.
Truth be told I sometimes wish I had more free time, but to keep my sanity I try to make time for the things I enjoy doing.....I am a firm believer in balance in all things. Although sometimes my balance is off a little, but I do try to keep it in check. I know someday I will have time to myself and then I will look in my children's empty bedrooms and yearn to hear their chatter and teasing. So in this moment that I have to raise them I will try not to yearn too much for alone time, because I know it will come and perhaps quicker then I expect.
Here comes my judgey side:
Some of the moms on the show just wanted to complain about how hard it is and claim they can only take showers twice a week. The one comment that really threw me was one lady saying she had to mourn the person she was before she had kids. Mourn???? I usually save that word for real loss and tragedies. Sure I am a different person and have a different focus, but I'd like to think a better person less selfish and more loving. Of course things are different, but I don't really feel I need to mourn who I use to be in order to be who I am now. Maybe it's been so long that I don't remember who I use to be? Anyway, I turned off the show when I heard that comment. None of these moms that were spotlighted had children with diabilities or that were terminally ill. Talk to a mom facing that challenge and you will suddenly feel your petty complaints ain't so hard to deal with anymore. I am not trying to discount the mundane, the thankless, the irritating and challenging parts of motherhood. It's not like their aren't days, hours and minutes when I want to scream, wail and nash my teeth, because there are many. It just helps me get through the day when I look at the big picture and look for the small treausres and blessings each day. I promise it's not always rainbows and butterflies here at our house. Sometimes I feel I just may go crazy if I have to repeat myself for the 100th time before someone responds, or pick up one more da#% lego.
At the end of the day I feel so lucky and blessed to get to do what I do. I am a realist and know that's things aren't always so peachy for others. Some women work and raise a family, some do it all on their own, some face sickness, diease and disabilities, some live with constant sadness and sorrow, some face challenges I can't even imagine, some are covered with 3rd degree burns all over their body, some live in poverty, some live with abuse, some never have the chance to be a mother and even some of those mom's have a smile on their face and do it with grace and gratitude....And that my friend it what gives me more power and strength.
*oprah disclaimer, remember I didn't watch the entire show, so before you tell me I am totally off it was just the feeling I got from the beginning of the show.

10 comments:

Seriously... said...

Dr. Laura is coming out with a new book about stay at home moms (praising them). She said if you take a look at the stay at home mom blogs they are all pretty happy. Look at the blogs of those who don't, or who are against staying at home (are there blogs like that out there?) anyway, and she said you find a lot more anger / complaining on those blogs. Anyway...just thought it was interesting. Great post.

Audry said...

Love the post! I agree! Although at times(last night) I can't wait until its time for all my kids to be in bed. I love it.

diane said...

The last paragraph is my favorite. I only have one year left of being a SAHM. I'll still be home...alone. UGH

Amelia Merritt said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE everything you said. It's DEAD on!! I felt the exact same way. I have a sister in law with seven kids and two types of cancer and that dear woman is grateful everyday of her life for what she has. I think those women needed to get out and do some charity work They should be grateful every day of their lives they GET to be at home moms. I should be so lucky!!

You are wonderful, thanks for posting this.

Shawni said...

Amen, Briggs. I'm with you 100%. I love this.

jacksonfamiliatwins said...

I finally got caught up on my "tivos" and saw the show. I agree w/you completley! The show just seemed too negative. I kept waiting for the ending to wrap up super positive, but it didn't. So weird. Great quote at the top. Love it!

TheDaynesFam said...

Brigitta, you are such a darling mom. We really need more Brigittas in this world! This post makes me miss you & wish I didn't live all the way around the world from you. Amen sista!

Lisa said...

Thank you for this entry..I love being a SAHM. It is always what I wanted to do. I count my blessings daily for being able to stay at home to raise them. I also love learning from other moms (like you) who inspire me to do the best I can! Thanks!!

diane said...

Hey e-mail me and I'll give you my Bermuda insight.

diane.naylor@hotmail.com

Shawni said...

This is totally what I was talking about on Good Things Utah. thanks for the inspiration from this post. I don't even know if I got it right, but I love what you said. The girls and I were talking about how we really ahve to get together. Early November or January?? Seeing them made me realize we really need to do it!