Thursday, August 20, 2009

I must confess....

I tell white lies to my kids all the time. I know we all do from time to time. So why do we call them white lies? I'd like to change their names to something like "convenient lies," because that's what they really are. For instance my 6 year old is obsessed with his soccer practice. He loves it!!!!! But when you have 3 kids in all different kinds of activities sometimes it's just plain hard to make it to the twice a week practices. By the way, why do 6 years old need to practice twice a week? We all know that at this age they are so darn cute as they play chase the ball.


Today he has practice but we also have tennis lessons, a choir concert for school and soccer all hovering around the same time. the last few times when we had a conflict he told me to ask our neighbor to take him to his practice. So I have done this a few times, but really it's starting to get ridiculous calling each week "Hey do you think you can take the boys to soccer practice again, I know you already did on Tuesday and last Thursday and the week before that...." Anyway, even though she is so nice and does, I am just starting to feel like a slacker. And then I can't help and wonder if she is thinking, "Why does that lady have so many kids, she can't even get them to all their practices." I am sure she doesn't think these things, because she is not that way, but I would probably be thinking these thoughts if the tables were turned.

So today I told Carson that practice was "cancelled" and really it's not a lie because I cancelled it in my brain so that should count. I figured it's easier then last Thursday when I told him we couldn't go to practice and he had a fit and then walked up the street to the neighbors to tell them he needed them to take him to soccer practice. So to avoid any conflicts or embarrassment I have decided to declare soccer cancelled tonight. I just hope it doesn't' come back to bite me in the shorts..... (maybe I should hire a driver to take my kids to all their activites....now that's an idea)

6 comments:

diane said...

I agree and think this is a brilliant and necessary parenting tool. It is vital to a mom's sanity.

I'm so glad my kid can drive...now if I could just get my license back...

Paige said...

I hired a driver. Really. Four kids is just too many activities. Soccer season is short, we can make it!

Shawni said...

hiring a driver sounds awesome. But I like the idea of "canceling stuff in my mind"...Hmmm. I'll have to give that one a try.

Audry said...

That is just too funny for words. I can only imagine what my life will be like when Tatum starts to have things to do. Madisen and her 3 things a week is enough.

jacksonfamiliatwins said...

I am SO laughing right now! I love this post! Yes, we ALL do it :)

Lisa said...

LOVE it! I do white lies ALL the time! We moms need to survive and do all we can! I did a "confessions post" and I should have put this one in there. How have you been? I went private on my new blog. I sent you an invite so check it out sometime! lookformilestones.blogspot.com