Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Trying to capture the magic

So if anyone tells you how absolutely amazing and beautiful Santorini (Greek Island) is.....believe them. It does not disappoint.

Although now looking at my pictures, not sure I was able to capture the sheer magic of this tiny island. I thought I did, but now looking at my pictures they don't do it justice. I am thinking I should of lugged around my SLR, rather then bringing the compact point and shoot.

The wonder of this island happened thousands of years ago when a volcano erupted and blew out the whole middle of the island which left just a crescent moon shaped island.
The magic lies in the breath taking views, the crisp clean air, the people, the colors, the charm of the villages that were built on the edges of the cliffs, beautiful beaches and of course the delicious food.
Wishing you all a future destination to the Greek island of Santorini.....

coming up to the island it looks as if the top of the rocks are dusted with snow or powdered sugar. But that is the village of Fira with all of its white buildings and architecture.






We arrived at our hotel, not sure of what to expect.....

I couldn't believe the views, it was almost overwhelming....



The stairs walking down to our room.....



Eating breakfast with a view...can you imagine waking up to this view every morning?

The view to the volcano that was responsible for tearing out the center of the island.

Sunset on Santorini in the village of Oia..... Every evening people gather around the very northwestern tip of the island to watch this inspiring sunset. (probably 99% tourist but I can't imagine the locals don't enjoy it too)


See the people gathering....


After the sunset we ate a lovely Greek dinner on the rooftop overlooking the island.




***Travel tips:
If you choose to visit go after the summer crowds. I'd suggest the first week of September, the weather is still very warm but not scorching and the crowds are starting to fade. Apparently the island is gridlock with tourist in July and August. Although it was still busy, it was definitely manageable. Also accommodations are better priced beginning September 1st.

8 comments:

diane said...

I bet the food was as amazing as the views. Thanks for sharing. It looks like paradise.

Krisi and Adam said...

Wow. The pictures are amazing and you guys look like you had a fabulous time.

Lorie said...

Beautiful! Glad you had a great trip!

Audry said...

Beautiful! I'm going...

jacksonfamiliatwins said...

These pics are breathtaking!! I have always wanted to go to Greece! Stunning!

Lisa said...

One Word...JEALOUS!!!!! I want to be you in my next life. You are always going away on these fab trips! I love it that you are able to do that...what a wonderful trip. Take me with you next time ok?

D-dawg said...

Brigitta, I believe it probably is really hard to capture the beauty but these pics are breathtaking! It is beautiful there. Maybe someday I'll get to go. I'm glad you had such a good trip. I want to hear more!

Anonymous said...

All I can say is ahhhhhhhh!!!!! That looks like heaven! Wow, you have convinced me. I wish I was leaving next week. Love the pictures and the descriptions. I told Mark all about it. We are putting it on our list.