Wednesday, September 26, 2007

True love?

A Boy and his Lion
When is it time for me to make him give up this ratty old lion? I've never been a big fan of kids and their attachments. My other boys never had real attachments to anything. (except for me, but can you blame them?) I loathed it when other children would come to our house with worn out blankies and weird attachment things like sippy cups or toys. But this boy has a serious attachment to his "baby". I haven't had the heart to tell him he can't take him everywhere, because he is so cute with his baby lion. He talks to him and takes him to preschool everyday in his backpack and he even makes sure that the zipper is partially open so baby can breathe while he's in the backpack. He's so nurturing and cute with it that it's hard for me to be the big bad witch and tell him that thing is no longer going everywhere with us. I'm a little over it and just wondering if I should cut their umbilical cord that they share? Is there a way that baby can be in our lives but not everywhere with us?


Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Paige said...

Cute, and cute. You are forbidden from taking away baby lion. At least it's not a pacifier, diaper, or even blankie. You should just keep baby lion in her purse for him, now that'll bug ya.

*Tanyetta* said...

he is sooooo cute. don't take it away. awwwww he's so precious.

Shawni said...

I love when they're attached to things. I love that they have that little comfort. My kids have all been attached to their blankets and it's weird because I've done nothing to encourage this. I do make them keep them in their rooms for the most part though. Sweet that he takes it in his backpack. He's so darn cute.

Celia Fae said...

I think Baby should be allowed to go places with you, but he has to stay in his backpack unless he is at home. Then Baby won't feel lonely but also won't get lost. You can't take him away, mean mommy. Baby is going to love kindergarten.

Lisa said...

I have a very similar situation with my little one. He drags "scruffy bear" EVERYWHERE! My other 2 boys didn't have attachments so I haven't had to deal with this. But, it is so cute! My advise is to let him have his baby. Somewhere I heard (don't quote me on this) that somewhere from 6-10 months, something tramatic happens and the baby attaches to an object. We moved when my little one was 7 months so he attached to scruffy. Has had that dollar store bear ever since!

Jake said...

Hi! I'm so glad you visited! I had to comment about this picture, because my 8 year old just barely stopped sleeping with Simba...his ratty old lion. I worried that he was way too attached...but now that it's just laying around in the basement, I feel kinda nostalgic!