Tuesday, August 19, 2008

My Olympic moment

With all this Olympic watching and seeing the amazing swimmers, it got me motivated to start swimming as part of my exercise routine. You'd think with all the hours I logged on the couch watching the swimmers I would have perfected my form by now. I may not have it quite down, but I did learn a few things by watching them swim.


My Olympic Moment was when I accomplished swimming a half mile. The first day I started swimming I was just happy not to drown. Then, I completed 15 laps, then each day I bumped it up a few laps and now I am at 40 laps which is a little over a half mile. My next goal is to swim a mile and then I will work on my speed. Although I was quite proud of myself that I did 40 laps in 30 minutes. Not quite yet to Dara Torres speed, but hey I've got 5 more years until I will be 41 and at the Olympics swimming. Don't you love how every time they said her name they also said her age.


Here are some things I've learned about swimming:

Swimming is great exercise. First of all you don't get all hot and sweaty like other forms of cardio and second of all I don't feel my extra jiggle flapping around while exercising (unlike like running) In fact I feel real light and streamline in the water.

Most of the time when I go to swim my laps the other swimmers are usually older people and so of course it feels good when I can out swim and out pace them. Except for the other day when some young hottie swimmer came in and he was totally out swimming me and of course I was trying to keep up with him but there was no chance.

I will never in my life time master the butterfly. I just don't have the coordination or skill. I am just to old to teach my body those moves.


My stroke of choice is the backstroke. There is something nice about floating on your back that feels like less work.

It is awesome core exercise. I am dreaming of a flat stomach someday.


I have a whole new appreciation for my kids when they are doing swim team and swim like 100 laps during a practice. And I will make sure next year during swim season to understand their complaints after a grueling swim practice.


Its fun to have your kids coach you in something that they have much more experience and knowledge in then me. They like to give me pointers and I like to learn from them.

A good pair of goggles are priceless.

And now for the big question.....Do I purchase a swim cap? Because the chlorine is not kind to my blond hair. But I just can't imagine looking cute in a swim cap. Can you imagine the dorkiness??

8 comments:

Nichole Barney said...

Do I hear triathlon news coming soon from you. I could see you doing that! Your awesome. I was motivated to get my butt running when I saw those women cruising at a cool 5 minute mile in the Olympics. You gotta get a swimming cap. You would be so legit!

Nortorious said...

Do you wear earplugs to keep the water out? What about your hair?

Tristan said...

Dara Torres is amazing! She is such an inspiration.

As far as the cap goes, I guess you get one to help you with speed. You would look "official" too!

Claire said...

They sell flowered swim caps, you know. Besides, it's just older people. They do not care how dorky you may look.

Unknown said...

Good for you!! I say wear the cap, it can only help increase your speed, right?

Jessica said...

I'm appreciating your keep me up to date on your baby-weight losing. It's SO frustrating, but I think you look great.

(Loved the multiple dieting personalities post! Good luck!)

K Sue said...

You are my hero.
lets do a triathlon sprints. That would be fun. I miss you!

Celia Fae said...

I say yes on the cap. Maybe you could borrow one of Claire's. Make sure you take pictures!