Tuesday, November 25, 2008

What would you do???

Yesterday, Jacob came home from school pleased as punch to show me the goods he bought at his class store. His teacher passes out M&M bucks for good behavior and work. Then they can redeem the bucks for items in the class store. As he proceeded to tell me all the things he was able to bid on, he started bragging about how he had the most bucks out of anyone. So I asked him how he got so many bucks and he continued to tell me how he will do other kids math homework and assignments and then they give him their M&M bucks. I asked him if his teacher knew this and of course she doesn't. I told him he shouldn't do other students work, because they need to learn how to do it and he is taking away from their learning. He told me "Mom, it's not like they make me do it, I want to do it and I even offer to do it for them." (as if that makes it right?) Even though part of me was secretly proud of him that he is so resourceful and already demonstrating good entrepreneurial skills, I still told him he needs to stop doing their work for them. He wasn't really happy with me. Then he said "Does that mean I need to stop paying the girls that sit next to me that clean my desk?"

6 comments:

diane said...

He is brilliant. I'm cracking up.

Tami said...

Holy cow! This boy kills me! Not only is he beautiful, he's resourceful. You did the right thing. He justs needs to understand that even though he's just being kind and helpful, it's a bit dishonest. He has a good heart!

Claire said...

Make him write about this story to the editors of the "Friend". Whatever you do, don't tell his teacher. She'll probably make him do something horrible like write apology letters to everyone in his class (not like 3rd graders will read them and care). Technically, it's not bullying if the kids are perfectly aware of what they are doing and want to do it. Sooner or later, so mom with nothing better to do will tell. Then he'll feel like a criminal. Just explain the situation to him.

Lisa said...

That is so darn funny! I especially loved the part about the girls cleaning the desk. Isn't that so typical of boys! I can see my Klein doing the same thing! I emailed you..did you get it? I would love to hook up with you when you are here. Either you and I can go out OR bring the gang over to play and we can hang.

D-dawg said...

LOL Brigitta that is hilarious! Jacob is awesome. I think you did the right thing though- how did you not laugh??

Audry said...

LOL I am busting up! Paying the girls to clean his desk!!! :) He is so funny. Yeah doing other people's work is not a good thing. I think you went about it the right way.